Sunday, April 6, 2014

First Love

While we were away for our little weekend trip, my Mom took care of our cats.  She said she spent some time in Ellie's room, and I'm glad she did.  It's good that she has some of her own time feeling close to her.  Now that we're back home, I feel like sharing a poem that was included in our picture package from the hospital.  It was written by Theresa Cochrane, and it's called "Oh Mother, my mother."

Oh Mother, my mother
I touch your tears
invisible fingers
soothing your skin
I know you think of me so often
in the day, in the night,
in your dreams
going into an empty nursery
knowing I'll never be there
but I am...in your heart
in your soul, I shall always be
for you gave so unselfishly
of yourself.
Inside of you, you created
such a world for me
a world of laughter, of love
of sadness, of sorrow
every emotion people come to know
you shared with me.
And even though I may never
feel your arms around me
I felt your heart beating,
like a lullaby, singing me to sleep
and your spirit giving me a safe haven
already protecting me
nurturing me
preparing me of things to come.
But sometimes the journey
of life pulls souls apart
and yes, I had to go on
to another place.
I wish I could stay
I wish this was a decision
I could make
and I know you do too.
Know this wherever you are:
I will always remember
that yours was the first love
the first joy, the first soul
I will ever know
you gave me the courage to
go on in my journey
I hope I can do the same
for you
Your heart beat will always
call me to you.

Love, your child

This about says it all tonight.  I was her first love, and I'll always have that special bond. 

1 comment: