Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April Fools'

I used to like playing April Fools' Day jokes on members of my family and loved ones through the years.  However, it hit me as I was walking down the stairs this morning on my way out of the door to go to work, that today was in fact April Fools' Day, and that in fact, the joke was on me.  Today Ellison should have been 6 weeks old.  Instead, Nature played a cruel joke and took her away two months ago.

It was a sad start to the day when this reality hit me.  But then as fate would have it, my Mom sent me a quote.  She had spent a while last night trying to tell me that I needed to reframe my views on luck.  It wasn't unluckiness that took Ellison away, it was just some terrible act of nature.  Luck had nothing to do with it.  She told me that she has never known me to be a negative person and that I've always tried to be positive in tough situations, and she wishes for me that I try to maintain this aspect of myself as I reframe my "new normal."  She told me she didn't want to lose her positive daughter.  I'm trying to listen to her words of wisdom and abide by them because I think deep down I know she is right on all points.

So this morning she sent me a quote to help me reframe my views on luck and to let me know that she loved me.  "Sometimes our fate resembles a fruit tree in winter.  Who would think that those branches would turn green again and blossom, but we hope it, we know it" - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe.

No comments:

Post a Comment