Saturday, March 29, 2014

Friendship Party

My parents were watching Natalie for a bit today because my brother and sister-in-law needed some time to run errands.  So they invited me to join them for lunch over at my Gran's.  When I got over to my parent's house, Natalie was coloring pictures.  As my sister-in-law was getting ready to leave, Natalie mentioned that her, and mommy and daddy, were going to have a "friendship party" when she got back home with them this afternoon.

We asked her what a "friendship party" entailed.  She got up and emphatically said that a "friendship party" was a party to show others that you care for and love them.  That sounded wonderful to me.  She had learned it from the Disney Juniors channel.  It made me think about how much my friends and family have helped me through my loss.  While no parties have been thrown, and parties aren't really appealing to me in general at the moment, just hanging out with my friends and family has shown me that I am loved and cared for by so many. 

I may not be the best company all the time, but having company certainly has been a blessing.  It was nice hanging out with my good friends last night for a bit and catching up.  It helped me to realize that it's good to not talk about or think about what I'm missing all the time but rather to start focusing on what I do have which is love and support.  Friendship parties, in whatever form they take, are bright spots in a sometimes dark world.  Leave it to a four year old to remind you of this.  As Albert Einstein would say, "out of clutter, find simplicity." 

No comments:

Post a Comment