Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Grace and Gratitude

I am two for two - another individual at work today asked how the baby was.  I was better prepared this time, but I'm not sure it went any easier.  Luckily, I had a nice "girl's lunch" to take my mind off of things and then when I got home, I had two packages waiting for me.

Several days ago my uncle's girlfriend, who is a very special member of our family, sent me a piece she had ordered from this business.  It was a beautiful "Bluebird of Happiness" - a small, blue piece of shaped glass that looked like a little bird.  I immediately placed it next to the figurine my Mom had gotten me about a month ago.  Then, I went online and checked out Terra Studios.  In addition to the Bluebird of Happiness, they also make a Pink Bird of Hope which is for those have worked for a cure for breast cancer or who have given hope to others through their battles - my Mom is one of those survivors so I plan on getting her this if she does not already have one.  I also then noticed that they offered another line of glass pieces called "Grace and Gratitude." 

The Grace piece was a pretty little pink angel that was described as this on the website:  "Grace is our pink angel and a wonderful memento of the angels in your life. Or give Grace to offer support, express kindness, or bestow blessings."  This spoke to me as a great way to have a reminder of my angel Ellie while I was at work.  I figured if I placed the Grace angel on my desk I would feel like I had Ellie watching over me to help me through the day.  Well, my Grace angel arrived today and it couldn't have come at a better time given my last two experiences at work these past two days.  Now I'll be able to look at the angel on my desk every time I need Ellie to give me more strength.

The second package that was waiting for me was sent from another sweet family member.  I opened it and read this message: "Please receive this shawl.  Wrap it around you.  May this shawl be for you A mantle of security and well-being...Sustaining and embracing you in good times and difficult ones.  May it bring you comfort From all that appears too much to bear  From all that feels as if it might break you  From all that threatens your peace of heart.  Rest within its softness So that you will be cradled in Hope, Kept in Joy, Graced with Peace, And wrapped in God's love." 

Inside was a handmade shawl that a church's "Prayer Shawl Ministry" had made and sent for me.  According to the note enclsoed Prayer Shawl Ministry is worldwide ministry movement of small groups who gather to pray and create shawls for people facing life changing events, both happy and sad.  They are prepared in a spiritual environment creating a prayerful relationship between the creator and the recipient.  Shawls have been made for centuries to wrap, enfold, comfort, cover, give solace, mother, hug, shelter and beautify.  "Each shawl is created prayerfully, intentionally, and with love."  How amazing is that?  Complete strangers made this specific shawl on my behalf to show love and comfort during my life changing event.  I am beyond touched by this and will forever cherish it and keep it in Ellie's room to wrap around me when I need to be comforted.  Ellie will have her little blanket that wrapped her, and I will have mine.  A bond that only we will have. 

So to those strangers,  I have nothing but gratitude to offer you.  I am now filled with grace from my my angel and gratitude for those who have touched my life through this.  This has provided me with a good ending to my day - a promise of hope for tomorrow.  It's making me think that I need to continue my loom bracelet making for those who are dealing with their own pregnancy loss or who are struggling through their baby's premature birth and health issues as a way to "pay it forward."  Even though it's just a small gesture perhaps it would remind someone else that they are not alone...

No comments:

Post a Comment